Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery
| |

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery lies 32 kms northeast of the town of Athabasca, Alberta and serves the Spruce Valley district. The church is painted with an unusual colour scheme compared to the many other churches I’ve visited in rural Alberta, and it seemed to match fall colours surrounding it….

St. Laurence Anglican Church – Monitor, Alberta
| | |

St. Laurence Anglican Church – Monitor, Alberta

St. Laurence Anglican Church is located in the hamlet of Monitor, Alberta. Constructed in 1915, it is registered in the Canadian Register of Historic Places. It’s been home to the local Anglican parish for over a century, but at times was also the meeting place for Methodist and Lutheran congregations and served as the hamlet’s…

Siracky Chapel
|

Siracky Chapel

Before the Transfiguration of Our Lord Ukrainian Catholic Church (Spas Moskalyk) church was built, Peter Siracky hosted services in his home for family members and neighbours. In 1940 he had this chapel built on his property in the style known in Europe as the “Church of the Weary Traveller” or the “Church of the Road”….

St. Demetrius Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Jaroslaw)
| | |

St. Demetrius Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Jaroslaw)

A log church was first completed at this site in 1904 and named “The Congregation of the Greek Catholic Church at Beaver Lake in the District of Alberta in the North West Territories of Canada”. In 1908 the name was changed to “The Congregation of St. Dimitry Greek Catholic Church at Beaver Creek on the…

Russo Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel
| | |

Russo Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

Work started on this church in the Peno district in 1909. Local logs were cut and hauled to the site and the church built with volunteer labour. The interior was painted in 1918 by Peter Lipinski, from Edmonton, who worked adorned the interiors of many of the churches in Lamont county. The “Lamont County’s Self-Guided…

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Star-Peno)
| | |

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Star-Peno)

After reading about the history of this church, the phrase that comes to mind is, “It’s never easy, is it?”. Early settlers, both Catholic and Orthodox were encouraged by their ministers to build a place of worship in the area and did so together, completely the first church in September, 1899. The church was consecrated…

Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Krakow)
| | |

Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Krakow)

A simple log sanctuary was built on this land in 1904 by local Russian Orthodox partitioners. That church was destroyed by fire in 1914 but with financial help from the American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church another church was built by 1916. Around this time war and revolution in Eastern Europe made it very…

St. John The Baptist Russo-Greek Catholic Orthodox Church (Farus)
| | | | |

St. John The Baptist Russo-Greek Catholic Orthodox Church (Farus)

This church was built in 1907 and is named “Farus” after the original owner of the land on which it was built. As the “Lamont County’s Self-Guided Church Tours” booklet notes, “the church’s tripartite shape points to its early construction date, as does the closed dome and the absence of a choir loft, both of…

Church of the Archangel St. Michael
| | | |

Church of the Archangel St. Michael

A simple log sanctuary was built on this land in 1904 by local Russian Orthodox partitioners. That church was destroyed by fire in 1914 but with financial help from the American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church another church was built by 1916. Around this time war and revolution in Eastern Europe at this time…

St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Sachava)
| | |

St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Sachava)

Like a number of other churches in the area, differences of belief and cultural background have separated groups of people who originally worshiped together. In this case the congregation of the St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church originally shared the St. Michael’s Russo-Greek Orthodox Church across the road. Post from RICOH THETA. – Spherical Image –…