After arriving in the Wostok area in 1896 Polish settlers began work on a log chapel in 1900, completing it in 1905. A few years later a church bell was purchased and a belfry built to house it.
Work started on a new church in 1914 and was completed the next year.
And in a twist one doesn’t hear about too often, the local church committee asked the CPR to name the local station, and by extension the hamlet of St. Micheal in honour of the church. So the hamlet was named for the church, not the other way around.
Source: “Lamont County’s Self-Guided Church Tours” booklet. Available online at: http://www.bruderheim.ca/media/33888/churchtourbooklet.05.pdf