Grant’s Tracks

Capturing Some of Life's Experiences...

St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Sachava)

Post from RICOH THETA. – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA

Like a number of other churches in the area, differences of belief and cultural background have separated groups of people who originally worshiped together. In this case the congregation of the St.…

Read more

Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Delph)

The land for this church was donated in 1911 and the church itself was built in 1917. The nearby bell tower was built in 1939.

Canada’s Historic Places website points out that, like many of the churches in Lamont County, the building is significant because of the “the transference of religious traditions in the building of churches and devotional expression of immigrants from eastern Galicia and northern Bukovyna, provinces in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that are today located in Ukraine.”

Read more

St. Michael The Archangel Roman Catholic Church

After arriving in the Wostok area in 1896 Polish settlers began work on a log chapel in 1900, completing it in 1905. A few years later a church bell was purchased and a belfry built to house it.

Work started on a new church in 1914 and was completed the next year.…

Read more

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church (Bukowina)

uilt in 1900 after three years of labour, this church has the distinction of being the oldest original church in Lamont county.

Later, the land the church and cemetery were built on was purchased from the CPR over a six year period from 1903 to 1909.…

Read more

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church (Sunland)

he original settlers in the area around this church were Romanian Bucovinian ( ). Early services were held in homes. Although the cemetery was in use beginning 1907, land for the church was purchased in 1910 and the church built over 3 years, completed in 1913.…

Read more

Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kahwin)

he Ukrainian Orthodox parish members of this church separated from the Holy Trinity Church in Sunland in 1929 and after purchasing the land this church was built in 1932.

The church was destroyed by fire only one year later in 1933, with another being built in 1934.…

Read more

St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church


fter the original congregation of this church was formed in 1898, services were held in private homes for a number of years before work was completed on a church in 1904.

This structure lasted about 30 years before it burned down in the late 1930’s.…

Read more
Go top