Grant Wilson

Author archive

Siracky Chapel

Before the Transfiguration of Our Lord Ukrainian Catholic Church (Spas Moskalyk) church was built, Peter Siracky hosted services in his home for family members and neighbours. In 1940 he had this chapel built on his property in the style known in Europe as the “Church of the Weary Traveller” or the “Church of the Road”.

Read more

St. Demetrius Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Jaroslaw)

A log church was first completed at this site in 1904 and named “The Congregation of the Greek Catholic Church at Beaver Lake in the District of Alberta in the North West Territories of Canada”. In 1908 the name was changed to “The Congregation of St.…

Read more

Russo Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael the Archangel

Work started on this church in the Peno district in 1909. Local logs were cut and hauled to the site and the church built with volunteer labour.

The interior was painted in 1918 by Peter Lipinski, from Edmonton, who worked adorned the interiors of many of the churches in Lamont county.

Read more

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Star-Peno)

After reading about the history of this church, the phrase that comes to mind is, “It’s never easy, is it?”.

 

Early settlers, both Catholic and Orthodox were encouraged by their ministers to build a place of worship in the area and did so together, completely the first church in September, 1899.…

Read more

Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Krakow)

A simple log sanctuary was built on this land in 1904 by local Russian Orthodox partitioners. That church was destroyed by fire in 1914 but with financial help from the American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church another church was built by 1916.

Read more

St. John The Baptist Russo-Greek Catholic Orthodox Church (Farus)

This church was built in 1907 and is named “Farus” after the original owner of the land on which it was built.

As the “Lamont County’s Self-Guided Church Tours” booklet notes, “the church’s tripartite shape points to its early construction date, as does the closed dome and the absence of a choir loft, both of which required sophisticated construction methods that were not readily available.”

Source: “Lamont County’s Self-Guided Church Tours” booklet.…

Read more

Church of the Archangel St. Michael

A simple log sanctuary was built on this land in 1904 by local Russian Orthodox partitioners. That church was destroyed by fire in 1914 but with financial help from the American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church another church was built by 1916.…

Read more

St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Sachava)

Post from RICOH THETA. – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA

Like a number of other churches in the area, differences of belief and cultural background have separated groups of people who originally worshiped together. In this case the congregation of the St.…

Read more

Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Delph)

The land for this church was donated in 1911 and the church itself was built in 1917. The nearby bell tower was built in 1939.

Canada’s Historic Places website points out that, like many of the churches in Lamont County, the building is significant because of the “the transference of religious traditions in the building of churches and devotional expression of immigrants from eastern Galicia and northern Bukovyna, provinces in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that are today located in Ukraine.”

In 1925, Peter Lapinski painted the interior.…

Read more

St. Michael The Archangel Roman Catholic Church

After arriving in the Wostok area in 1896 Polish settlers began work on a log chapel in 1900, completing it in 1905. A few years later a church bell was purchased and a belfry built to house it.

Work started on a new church in 1914 and was completed the next year.…

Read more
Go top